777 Making a Splash In Alberta Premium Matte Paper Poster
Pickup currently unavailable
Fort McMurray is known for one thing—OIL.
But unlike most oil worldwide, the heavy Canadian crude lies just below the surface in what's called "oil sand."
Oil sand mining has fascinated me since I learned about it in college. Some of the biggest mines in the world with some of the harshest conditions? Sign me up.
The mines are highly unique—the weather, material, and processing. Only in Alberta exist such operations, and after four years into my BuildWitt adventure, I figured it was time to see them myself.
I didn't have a plan or many connections in the region. To build relationships, I needed my boots on the ground.
While I spent most of my time aimlessly driving around to spot machines on the move, I did have one visit arranged with Morgan Construction.
As a contractor, Morgan does the miscellaneous work around the mines that the mine operators aren't equipped for. The production work is king, but there are hundreds of other tasks that someone must do either ahead or behind the mining.
On this project, Morgan placed petroleum coke, a byproduct of the on-site refining process, atop an old tailings pond for reclamation.
The coke was jet-black and extremely light-weight, so the 870 excavator loaded every 777 to the brim, and even then, the trucks still weren't overloaded. They hauled to an awaiting D8, which placed the material according to wooden posts.
I noticed a big puddle on the haul road on the return trip. While I'd taken some "bangers," as we say in the photography business, I knew this was THE opportunity I was looking for. As another 777 approached us, I stepped away from the splash zone and hit the shutter.
- The 200 gsm/ 80 lb paper weight makes it durable and long-lasting.
- We use FSC-certified paper or equivalent certifications depending on regional availability. It’s better for the people and the planet.
- Each poster is shipped in robust packaging, ensuring it arrives safe and secure.
- Paper sizes may vary slightly by region. For the US and Canada, the measurement is in inches, while for the rest of the world, it is in centimeters.
- It is printed and shipped on demand. No minimums are required.
Our heavier-weight, white, premium matte paper has a natural, smooth uncoated finish that feels luxurious to the touch.