Replenishing the Mississippi River Delta Premium Matte Paper Poster
Pickup currently unavailable
As I researched Venice, Louisiana, I noticed people called it the “end of the world.” I wondered why…
We left New Orleans around 4 AM and followed the Mississippi toward the Gulf of Mexico. Shady civilization quickly gave way to nothingness. We weren’t in Kansas anymore.
The rendezvous point was the Weeks Marine job trailer in a boatyard. After a quick safety chat, we piled into two pickups and headed for the work area.
At this point, the sun unveiled the landscape. Tall grass, water, and birds were all we could see as we drove along a narrow strip of land made of beach sand. Little did we know the land we traversed didn’t exist only months prior.
We met the day crew as the night crew tracked their machines to the lineup. The crew chatted and joked under an American flag waving in the wind. Only a stone’s throw away, their machines stood at the ready, muddy and rusty from the harshness of the work.
Over five miles away, sitting in the middle of the Mississippi River, was a Weeks cutter dredge, sucking (for lack of a better term) sand off the bottom of the channel and pumping it to where we stood.
Using huge steel pipes moved and assembled by loaders and dozers, the crews directed the sand slurry wherever needed. The goal was to replenish the habitat, leaving behind a huge stretch of land for the native animals of the Mississippi River Delta, and provide storm protection for inland civilization.
As the day shift began, they tracked their dozers and marsh buggies into the water for another day of directing the water and sand with as little effort as possible. The more they could let gravity do, the better.
Never shoot into the sun? Bad advice…
- The 200 gsm/ 80 lb paper weight makes it durable and long-lasting.
- We use FSC-certified paper or equivalent certifications depending on regional availability. It’s better for the people and the planet.
- Each poster is shipped in robust packaging, ensuring it arrives safe and secure.
- Paper sizes may vary slightly by region. For the US and Canada, the measurement is in inches, while for the rest of the world, it is in centimeters.
- It is printed and shipped on demand. No minimums are required.
Our heavier-weight, white, premium matte paper has a natural, smooth uncoated finish that feels luxurious to the touch.